28 March 2011

Random notes from the underground ch.2


2005 Yuri Endo
My favorite piece found in yet again Dresden.

I got a little disappointed with myself for still being a complete beginner to the world of graffiti. I shamelessly admit, thanks to Wikipedia, I found out some intriguing facts on its hitory. Firstly, the term "Graffiti" actually stemmed from the Italian word, graffito, ("scratched" ) and is one of the legitimate art techniques. The earliest forms of graffiti dates back to some 30,000 BCE where they used to cave paint. Last but not least, the early example of modern-style graffiti is considered to be an advertisement for prostitution in the ancient Greek City of Ephesus (Turkey). My conclusion is very simple, graffiti was not all about Banksy, subways, name tagging and gangster signals. Shame on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment